Last month, we had a big trial scheduled. We spend a lot of time preparing for trial and the possibility of our client testifying. Luckily, the government dismissed the case on the morning that the jury trial was to start. As I was going through my notebook today, I ran across a list of courtroom tips. They are worth sharing. Being in the courtroom is stressful for lawyers let alone someone facing losing their liberty. Here are my tips for courtroom success.
- No facial expressions when someone is testifying.
- No talking when the judge is speaking.
- No talking when the witness is testifying.
- Dress appropriately
- Be careful when you decide on a bench trial or a jury trial.
- If you decide to testify, be prepared to answer the judge’s questions.
- Answer the question. Do not try to rationalize your answer.
- Be polite and respectful when answering the question.
I know these tips are simplistic. Just remember. You only get one chance to get it right. you need to do everything possible to win your case.