A drunk driving case (DUI) is a case of opinions. The police have an opinion that the defendant is impaired.Your client has a different opinion of their sobriety. How does a criminal defense attorney rebut the police officers testimony ? Witnesses may need to be called to attack the police testimony.Here’s a list of potential witnesses a DUI lawyer should consider:
- Friends , companions , or spouse.
- Bystanders at the scene.
- Bartenders, waiters, or waitresses.
- Witnesses who know the defendant’s physical or speech problems
- My personal favorite is the valet.
- People who spoke to the defendant by cell phone or communicated by text message.
- The bondsman or whoever picked up the accused from jail.
Remember , please interview these witnesses before a trial or hearing.One warning of this list of witnesses is the bartender.Use a bartender with caution.For example , the defendant is a regular customer of that bar does not bode well for an effective defense. Here’s the problem testimony. "Joe comes in here all the time" said the bartender and " he never has more than six beers and four shooters." How fast can the jury say guilty.
Witness selection in drunk driving cases can be used effectively , but be careful.