Gu Kailai was convicted of murdering a British business partner in China . The trial lasted less than seven hours including a break for lunch . The Chinese criminal justice system apparently works with great speed . It is quite different than the American criminal justice system.
Here are some of the differences that happened in Ms. Kailai's trial;
- The trial was held over 800 miles from where the crime occurred.
- No jury decided her fate.
- Ms.Kailai was deprived her choice of an attorney . She had to accept a government appointed attorney.
- The criminal defense lawyer never had the opportunity to review or examine the evidence used against her.
- No witnesses were called.
- All testimony was presented in writing.
- No cross examination of witnesses was conducted.
- No defense witnesses were called.
The New York Times reported that China has a conviction rate of over 98% . No wonder that Chinese prosecutors never lose a case. One observer posted a summary of the trial on-line but it was quickly taken down. Censorship was at work to cover up the farce of a trial.
Folks complain about the American criminal justice system. Too slow , appeals , jury trials and the list seems like it goes on forever. However , I sure am glad we have the best criminal justice system in world . Someone charged with murder should get at least a fair trial or one that appears to be orchestrated by the government.